Jul 1, 2017

How to support Hindi in php mysql database

       
       Hello friends, just today I got a requirement of adding Hindi support to the MySQL database which was till now completely in English. Well, i had worked on many Hindi data before too but this time is the first time I was the getting error while adding the Hindi text. I tried to add the Hindi text via Android and retrofit but in the database in place of Hindi text only ?????? were added and ya I laughed for a movement on that. 

    So I had to add Hindi text in the database so that it can be added, retrieved and also displayed in Android. I looked around the internet and there were like many many methods of achieving same. But I wanted something that is simplest, easiest and fastest for my work. The expected outcome for me was something like this:




I achieved it with just one line of SQL code so let's see what it was and how it worked!




Various methods provided online included some changes to the table. Some had some client side code some changed the text encoding and a lot more! Apart from all this, the changes in the database was also an option.

The one I selected was simple. Just run the following SQL command:-

      ALTER TABLE <tablename> CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

Just add your table name in its proper place run and bam you are ready to go now your database (specifically this table) supports Hindi data u can test it upload more text and retrieve it all working perfectly fine!!

So that's all for now, u can surely add your own methods of doing same in comments!

Thankyou 

No comments :

Post a Comment